Backpacking should be done whenever you want. For this, you will need gears which are according to the weather. And one such gear is the tent. Yep, you read that right. Tents also differ according to the season. Mostly they are categorised as 3 season tent and 4 season tent. But what are these tents exactly? What is the difference between 3 Season vs 4 Season Tents. Let’s understand.
In simple words, the 3-season tents are designed for every weather condition except extreme winter. Some other factors will be discussed later in this blog.
4-season tents are designed for all the weathers, including harshest winters.
3 Season vs 4 Season Tents – The Key Differences
The choice about which one to choose also differs based on a variety of factors. So, we will try to talk about some of the deciding factors in this blog. Let’s begin!
- Compatibility: 4-season tents are made to face even harsh winter snow and strong winds. These are perfect if you are expecting challenging weather conditions. These tents have thick and durable fabric. Due to this reason, they also have more weight, less breathability and less air circulation. On the other hand, 3-season tents are more lightweight.
- Ease of carrying: To make the 4-season tent durable, they are made heavy. They normally have more parts and fixtures than 3-season tents. Due to this reason, if you want to travel light, 3 season tents are a better choice. In both the tents, you can definitely get the protection from bugs and other such elements. But the protection from rain, snow and hail can be different in case of both.
- Layering: 3-season tents may have 2 layers. One if the normal tent fabric and other will be a rainfly. This lets you have two different options to choose as per summer or rains. In case of 4-season tents, the layering may in the windows, to stop the weather elements or let in air.
- The weathers: We are talking about 2 different types of tents according to the season. So, it is worth noting that some of 3-season tents can also face light snow and heavy rains. But the fabric should be checked first for appropriateness. The 4-season tents are suitable for all weathers according to their make. But they may not be suitable for summers because they are not so breathable.
- Space: 3-season tents are normally smaller than 4-season tents. The reason is the supposed additional gears. For harsh weathers, you may have additional bags and they will need more space for storing. This is why, 4-season tents are normally larger and more spacious. However, you can get different size options in case both the tents.
- Additional space: For additional space, you can also use the tent connections or vestibules. Some of the 4-season tents come with a vestibule option to store the extra gears. This is not the case in as many 3-season tents.
Enjoying the nature in a variety of season may make camping even more special. Some prefer to stay in tents irrespective of the weather while camping to have maximum fun. But choosing the suitable tent is very much necessary for this. Choose wisely and enjoy!